COVID-19 and Medical Emergency Travel Insurance
- March 17, 2020
- Posted by: olinsadmin
- Category: Coronavirus, Health Care Ontario, Insurance Toronto, Travel Medical Insurance
Here are important coverage updates and clarifications related to coronavirus from Allianz Global Assistance in Canada
First and foremost, out-of-country medical emergency travel insurance coverage is not available if a formal travel advisory of “Avoid all travel” or “Avoid non-essential travel” is issued before your departure.
Allianz Global Assistance has announced it will accommodate the following types of coronavirus-related claims until further notice:
- Travel insurance policyholders with emergency medical benefits who contract coronavirus at their destination will continue to be eligible for emergency medical treatment, unless the Government of Canada issued a travel advisory related to coronavirus prior to their departure date, that advised against non-essential travel or all travel for their destination.
- Emergency medical care and emergency medical transportation benefits will be available if you become ill with COVID-19 while on your trip.
- Customers who book future travel to a location which is currently under a relevant travel advisory (including cruises) will not have medical coverage in these locations if the advisory is still in effect at the time of travel;
- If a travel advisory is issued after departure, medical coverage for that location is limited to a period of 10 days from the date of the travel advisory or formal notice was issued, or to a period that is reasonably necessary for you to safely evacuate the country, region or area.
Please visit https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/advisories for the most up-to-date travel advisory information.
For more information or if you have questions about Medical Emergency Travel Insurance contact Olga Ryjkova: 416-822-2698; email@example.com