New COVID-19 Pandemic Travel Insurance
- November 24, 2020
- Posted by: olinsadmin
- Categories: Covid-19, Health Care Ontario, Travel Medical Insurance
Great news! If you need to travel outside Canada you can get Single Trip COVID-19 Pandemic Travel Insurance. You can get it online at any time.
For your convenience, in this post, I’ve prepared some basic details about new COVID-19 Pandemic Travel Insurance for Canadians, but if you need more info or have some questions, just contact me by email at email@example.com or call me at 416-822-2698.
So, let’s start from the beginning.
What is Single Trip COVID-19 Pandemic Travel Insurance Coverage?
Single Trip COVID-19 Pandemic Travel Insurance offers the following:
- Up to $5 million CAD to cover emergency medical costs unrelated to COVID-19
- Up to $200,000 CAD to cover emergency medical costs related to COVID-19
- Trip interruption coverage
This insurance plan covers emergency medical expenses for:
- Ambulance transportation
- Paramedical services
- Emergency treatment
- Emergency dental treatment
- Emergency medical evacuation home
- Bringing someone to your beside
- Return home of children in the care of the insured
- Return home of travel companion
- Additional expenses for meals and hotel
- Return home of vehicle
- Hospital allowance
- Child care
- Return of excess baggage
- Phone call expenses
- Pet return
- Terrorism coverage
- Repatriation of bodily remains
Also, new COVID-19 Pandemic Travel Insurance includes interruption benefits:
- Up to $150 per insured person per day for your additional and unplanned commercial hotel and meal expenses to a maximum of $2,100 if you are unexpectedly required to self-isolate or quarantine.
- Family coverage maximum is $300 per insured family per day to a maximum of $4,200.
- Up to a maximum of $500 for reasonable and customary charges incurred by you for a Trip Interruption claim due a change in the Travel Advisory issued by the Government of Canada to “Avoid all travel”.
The coverage can be purchased for trips up to the number of days allowed by OHIP or other provincial or territorial government health insurance plan. Your application must be:
- completed up to 180 days prior to the effective date
- purchased for the entire duration of the trip.
What are the coverage dates?
Coverage starts on the later of:
- the departure date; or
- the effective date as shown on the confirmation.
Coverage ends on the earliest of the following:
- the expiry date as shown on the confirmation
- the date the policyholder returns home
- You must be a Canadian resident
- You must be covered under OHIP or other provincial or territorial government health plan.
- All travellers must be at least 30 days old.
- All travellers must not travel against the advice of a physician.
- If you are under age 60: You automatically qualify for Rate Category A. You must confirm your eligibility to purchase this plan and you do not need to complete any medical questions to determine your rate category.
- If you are over age 60: You need to complete the medical questionnaire to determine your eligibility and rate category. Your cost will vary according to your specific health needs and circumstances. Please keep in mind that if you omit or inaccurately disclose any medical condition, you may not be covered for any condition in the event of a claim.
Some other conditions apply.
What are pre-existing medical conditions?
“Medical Condition” is any disease, sickness or injury (including symptoms of undiagnosed conditions). “Pre-Existing medical condition” is any medical condition that exists before the effective date of insurance.
What is a stable medical condition?
All of the following conditions must be met for a medical condition to be considered stable:
- there has not been any new treatment prescribed or recommended, or change(s) to existing treatment (including a stoppage in treatment), and
- there has not been any change in medication, or any recommendation or starting of a new prescription drug, and
- the medical condition has not become worse, and
- there has not been any new, more frequent or more severe symptoms, and
- there has been no hospitalization or referral to a specialist, and
- there have not been any tests, investigation or treatment recommended, but not yet complete, nor any outstanding test results, and
- there is no planned or pending treatment.
New COVID-19 Pandemic Travel Insurance will not cover any expenses relating to a pre-existing medical condition that was not stable in the time period before the effective date of your trip.
How much does the Single-Trip COVID-19 Pandemic Travel Insurance cost?
Your premium is based on:
- The rate category
- The age at the time of application; and
- The trip length.
Number of coverage days must include each day of the trip including:
- The date of departure; and
- The date of return.
Just one example: a 2-week trip for a person of 20 years old – $40 CAD; for 50 years old – $50 CAD.
What you have to know about refunds
- A full refund must be requested before the effective date of coverage.
- If you return home early and there has been or will be no claim, you can apply for a partial refund of premium (minimum $25.00) for the unused coverage. Proof of an early return (for example, customs or immigration stamp, gas receipts) is required.
- All travellers insured under the same policy must return together to be eligible for a refund.
What you have to know about extensions
If you are already on your trip and need to apply for an extension of your coverage, before the expiry date of your existing coverage, simply call the agent or broker from whom you purchased your coverage. You may be able to extend your coverage, as long as:
- the total length of your trip outside of Canada, including the extension, does not exceed the maximum allowed by your government health insurance plan;
- you pay the additional premium; and
- there has been no event that has resulted or may result in a claim against the policy and there has been no change in your health status.
How to get Single Trip COVID-19 Pandemic Travel Insurance
You can get it online at any time.
If you need more info or have some questions, just contact me by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or call me at 416-822-2698.