You need private health insurance if
- November 3, 2018
- Posted by: olinsadmin
- Category: Health Care Ontario, Insurance Toronto, Medical Insurance Ontario
OHIP provides coverage for many health expenses. However, there are gaps that can have a significant impact on your finances. Extended health insurance plans help lower your risk of being burdened by expenses for preventive care or medical bills as a result of an illness or accident.
If you aren’t covered by a group health and dental insurance plan, then you know how quickly medical bills can add up. Prescription drugs, dental check-ups, massage or physiotherapy, new eyeglasses – the list of possible expenses goes on and on. There are many plans to choose from: prescription drugs and dental expenses coverage, or if needed, a comprehensive list of benefits.
You should consider private health insurance if:
- You’d like additional benefits not covered by OHIP or your employer’s plan
- You have a family with kids
- You have a chronic health condition and need prescription drugs to treat it on a regular basis
- You don’t have health benefits through your employer
- You’re losing your group coverage (For instance, Canada Protection Plan has special insurance products that don’t require a medical questionnaire or exam, as long as you apply within 60 days of your group insurance benefits ending.)
- You are self-employed
- Emergency medical services provided in another country
- Practitioners like physiotherapists to promote wellness or help with injury recovery
- Medical equipment to assist with your mobility
Examples of extended health insurance plans
For your information, I’d like to give you a couple of examples of basic extended health insurance plans from leading insurance companies.
Sun Life Financial offers a low-cost plan that helps you with basic medical and dental needs.
- 60% reimbursement for prescription drugs with a $750 annual maximum
- 60% reimbursement for supplemental healthcare expenses. 60% reimbursement with a $25 per-visit maximum on paramedical practitioner services up to $250 per year per practitioner
- 60% reimbursement for preventive dental care with a $500 annual maximum
- Semi-private hospital room coverage is optional. No coverage for emergency travel medical or vision care
Canada Protection Plan offers a wide variety of health and dental insurance plans for both individuals and families:
- Simple, affordable health care protection for you and your family
- Choose from a basic or enhanced prescription drug plan; a basic or enhanced dental plan; or a combination plan that combines both drugs and dental
- Add a variety of additional benefits like vision care or hospital coverage
Blue Cross personal health insurance plans can cover health care services, dental care, vision care, prescription drugs, income replacement and travel insurance. The Blue Cross Basic Plus+ plan coverage includes:
- Ambulance, nursing care, and paramedical coverage
- 70% reimbursement for preventive dental care with a $500 annual maximum
- Eye exams ONLY: up to $50/2 calendar years for people aged 20-65
- A pay direct drug card
- $5 million emergency travel medical coverage
You must have provincial health coverage, OHIP, to apply for personal health insurance.
You can get a free online quote or talk to me to better understand which personal health insurance plan is right for your needs.