You can renew your OHIP card online
- November 24, 2020
- Posted by: olinsadmin
- Categories: Covid-19, Health Care Ontario, OHIP coverage
Due to coronavirus emergency Ontario government has changed the rules making medical assistance available for everybody. But first, you have to know about these three important things:
- You may not need to renew your OHIP card at this time: health cards have an extended expiry date until further notice from the government. The Ministry of Health will notify you when you need to renew.
- Since March 19, 2020 the three-month waiting period for OHIP coverage has been waived.
- If you do not meet the criteria for OHIP coverage and are uninsured, the province will fund the cost of COVID-19 services.
In pre-pandemic time, you could renew your health card in-person at nearly 300 ServiceOntario centres located across Ontario. But in pandemic time it’s complicated to renew your OHIP card in person. Doing it online is the easiest way, if you are eligible of course.
What you need to renew your health card online
Before you renew, make sure you have:
- your most recent health card
- your current driver’s licence
- a valid credit card (Visa, Mastercard) or Interac® Online (if you are also renewing your driver’s licence)
- a printer to download and print your temporary documents
Print and carry the temporary document
To prove you renewed your OHIP card online, it’s important that you download, print and carry the temporary document at the end of your transaction, until your new cards arrive in the mail.
Please keep in mind that screenshots of the documents are not accepted as proof that my cards have been renewed.
If you do not have access to a printer at the time of your renewal, you can download and save the temporary document and print it later. You must carry the temporary documents with your expired OHIP card.
Some conditions apply
- You must live in Ontario for at least 153 days (5 months) in any 12-month period to keep your OHIP Coverage.
- ServiceOntario may contact your to confirm that Ontario is your primary home.
- If ServiceOntario contacts you, you must respond within 30 days to keep your health coverage.
The information you provide in your application will be checked. Please remember that it is against the law to knowingly provide incorrect information for anything related to this application.
Your renewed OHIP card delivery
Your OHIP card renewal is free of charge. It will be sent to the address on file within 4-6 weeks by mail.